Thursday, April 12, 2007

Blogging anti-code of conduct

Tim O'Reilly of web 2.0 phrase coinage (supposedly) and the animal tech books' fame together with the Inventor of wikipedia, Jimmy Wales, are promoting a blogger's code of conduct.

The idea has got plenty of media coverage this week.

Now having been called a style Nazi in the past and a promoter of good online content guidelines within organisations you may think that I'd support such a move.

However my main response to this is 'what a load of rubbish'.

Half of it seems to be legal issues. If I defame someone... sue me. I don't need a code to avoid that one. The other half is hippy nonsense.

The whole idea of having a code goes against the whole point of blogging and the fact that they are promoting a 'code of conduct' just goes to show that even people profiteering from open content are now trying to reign it in when it doesn't fit with their own frameworks.

If you have a code of conduct for internal blogs or blogs that stem from your organisation then that makes complete sense but simply following a code of conduct because a few wealthy blog geeks think its a good idea because few gutless bloggers can't take the heat if someone disagrees with them? It's laughable.


So on a lighter note here's an independent blogger's anti-code of conduct:

  1. I will criticise anyone, group of people or any organisation anyway I want until they get their lawyer to say otherwise (even then there better be a damn good reason)....
  2. If someone leaves a comment I don't like. Then I won't cry about it I'll just delete it or make them out to be a fool (if possible otherwise the first is taken and hope that noone else reads the comment...).
  3. I'll write whatever I want without any regard to whether I'll say it in person or even back it up if questioned.
  4. I reserve the right to not have any concern or regard about anyone else's beliefs, physical characteristics or hobbies etc etc (see point 1).
  5. Public slanging matches are preferred to private conversations as it makes life far more interesting and boosts google rankings.
  6. Anonymity is to be supported - 'On the Internet no one knows you're a dog' is a motto that should be promoted. The free exchange of ideas should not be tied to one's name (although I think you're pretty gutless doing this...).
  7. 'Trolls' are to be supported, encouraged and vilified where necessary (see point 5).

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Giacomo Mason said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home